Sunday, September 16

Program Evaluation

I realize that the blog is not part of the Program Evaluation coursework this term.  But I have learned that it serves as a good outlet for me to 'talk through' some of the issues, without stressing about quotes and references.  (Yes, I know that using citations adds substance to one's writing, but right now I just need to get things straight in my head).

As has always been the case while enrolled in this program, time is such a huge factor.  With just less than two classes left, I'm ready to be done.  The University has not been kind to me either (they actually unenrolled me from the current course on Thursday of week 1 through a mistake on their part.  I didn't get things straightened out until Tuesday of Week 2.  Which means that I missed the discussion responses and assignments from Week 1.  On top of that, the professor is docking points off the W1 discussion grade because I didn't participate, AFTER the U told the professor that I was denied access through their mistake. Grr!  The professor did however grant an extension on the paper assignments.  And the U messed up the financial accounts, too.)

Anyway.

Even if I could put all of that aside, the course is difficult.  I am not fond of statistics or politics, both of which are part of the course.  Do I understand their inclusion in a course on evaluation?  Of course.  Do I recognize their importance and affect on evaluation results?  Absolutely.  Do I like dealing with either?  No.  Either subject can be skewed, twisted, and molded to be used for purposes on any side of an issue.  Both are nebulous creatures that creep up and are used for shock value (have you seen the political ads on TV?).

Ethically, morally, and for the sake of justice, evaluators should only convey factual information to stakeholders.  Evaluators should maintain distance from stakeholders, yet involve them in the evaluation process (leads to buy-in and action on program results). Evaluators should practice away from and above the political arena, lest they damage their credibility as objective assessors, past, present, and future.  (Fitzpatrick, Sanders, & Worthern, 2011; Schweigert, 2007, Mohan & Sullivan, 2006).

*See, I can't get away from the references, even when ranting!*

Truth be told, politics leaves a bad taste in my mouth.  I see enough of the currying favor behavior on my daily job as a school teacher.

I am hoping that my current outlook on the course changes (and quickly) but right now, my only thought is that I have 14 weeks to go.

References

Fitzpatrick, J., Sanders, J., Worthern, B. (2011). Program evaluation: alternative approaches and practical guidelines (4th ed.). Pearson, Boston: MA.

Mohan, R., & Sullivan, K. (2006). Managing the politics of evaluation to achieve impact. New Directions for Education, 112. 7-23, doi: 10.1002/ev.204

Schweigert, F. J. (2007). The priority of justice: A framework approach to ethics in program evaluation. Evaluation and Program Planning, 30(4), 394-399.

No comments:

Post a Comment